Latest News Announcements
Asynchronous virtual conference: info about submissions & conference format in article
The WSSA's 2020 Virtual Conference (one-time replacement for the scheduled Portland conference) will NOT be live - it will be a website containing the presentations of all paid registrants whose work has been accepted for the virtual conference, and all paid registrants may comment on any presentation. These presentations may be formatted as papers, as videos, or as PowerPoints. They will be divided into our usual sections, but the sections will not be divided into panels. The presentations will be searchable by section, author, and keyword. There will also pages with the other information usually provided in our programs, including information about award honorees. More information, and instructions, can be found in the "Read More" full article, which contains the Call for Papers and Presentations.
Call for Papers and Presentations
“2020 Virtual Juried Proceedings
Western Social Science Association”
This is a Call for Papers for the 2020 WSSA virtual conference, which is replacing the previously scheduled 2020 face-to-face conference, which would have been held in Portland, Oregon, USA.
IF you had a paper, panel, or roundtable accepted for the face-to-face conference
You want to present that paper, panel, or roundtable at the virtual conference,
section , at bottom of page.
IF you were not accepted to participate in the face-to-face conference,
you would like to present in the virtual conference,
section , at bottom of page.
WSSA is cognizant of the time and energy that our members have put into developing their scholarly work for the face-to-face conference that had been scheduled for Portland, Oregon. We are also fully aware that a virtual option will not replace the opportunity to meet with colleagues and friends at a face-to-face conference; however, moving forward with the virtual option does allow us to maintain connected until we meet in Albuquerque 2021.
WSSA has been working with its various affiliates, associated groups, and sections to provide an opportunity for scholars to present their papers via an Online Juried Proceedings. This will be an asynchronous Proceedings, which will allow for a virtual exchange of ideas, comments and thoughts about the submitted presentations, without requiring the “attendees” to be logged in at any specific day or time.
At present we already have over 140 presenters signed up to submit their presentation(s) for the WSSA Juried Proceedings Virtual Conference.
- may submit up to two presentations; Please note that we are not able to cross-list sections or papers.
- should submit to a specific section, either the section to which they originally submitted, if they were accepted for the face-to-face conference, or to the section that is the best fit for the topics of the presentation, if this is a new submission
- can submit a document (their paper), and/or a video, and/or a Power Point Presentation.
- Only submissions by presenters whose conference registration fees have been paid by May 26, 2020, will appear on the website. No presentations will appear unless the presenter has paid the registration fee.
Even if your paper title and abstract were submitted for the face-to-face conference, you must now submit your full paper, in order for it to appear in the virtual conference.
- It is expected that the submission portal will be opened at some point during the last week of April.
- The submission portal will close on May 30, 2020.
- During the submission period, all submissions will be reviewed.
- The Juried Proceedings, during which comments can be received, made and responded to by paid registrants for the Online Juried Proceedings, will open on June 10, 2020, and will remain open until September 30, 2020.
- The Proceedings will then be opened for public access for one year. This access will permit viewing, but will not permit commentary.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during these very trying times.
With kind regards,
Larry A. Gould, PhD
Western Social Science Association
 IF you had a paper, panel, or roundtable accepted for the face-to-face conference
AND You want to present that paper, panel, or roundtable at the virtual conference,
You can submit your presentation(s) by going to http://www.wssaweb.com/, clicking on the Conferences tab, and then on the submission portal. When we have a paid registration on file, your presentation will be added to the conference website.
Paid registrations may be face-to-face registrations that you have requested (by email to WSSA.Admin@nau.edu) to have transferred to the virtual conference, or they may be new registrations, if you had not yet registered for the face-to-face conference before registration was closed. New registrations can be made at the following link: https://reg.planetReg.com/E317131545175834
 IF you were not accepted to participate in the face-to-face conference,
BUT you would like to present in the virtual conference,
You can submit your presentation(s) by going to http://www.wssaweb.com/, clicking on the Conferences tab, and then on the submission portal. Your presentation will be reviewed by the appropriate Section Coordinator and then, IF it is accepted, will be added to the possible presentations for the conference. When we have a paid registration, in your name, for the virtual conference, your presentation will be added to the conference website.
New registrations can be made at the following link: https://reg.planetReg.com/E317131545175834
If you registered for the virtual conference before submitting your presentation, we already have your registration on file - you do not need to do it again.