Latest News Announcements
SEARCHing for new Student Grant & Award Coordinator for WSSA's annual conference-click for details
The Western Social Science Association is seeking a Student Award/Grant Coordinator. This is an unpaid service position. For additional details, see the description below. Dr. William Schaniel has been successfully serving as Student Award/Grant Coordinator for a number of years. He will answer any questions on the position, and he would be glad to train and mentor the successful candidate. If you have any questions, feel free to contact him: email@example.com
Position title: Student Award/Grant Coordinator
Membership on Council: Ex Officio, unless also serving as an elected member of the Council
Term of Office: Two-year term; renewable at discretion of Executive Council.
Reports to: The President and the Executive Council
Position description: The role of Coordinator is to manage the student awards and travel grants created by the Council which are not assigned to other individuals, including, but not limited to: 1) The Graduate and Undergraduate Student Paper Competitions; 2) Poster Competition; 3) Travel Grants; 4) The John Wicks Dissertation Award. This Coordinator is appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Council.
Positions specific duties:
- Outreach to students concerning the competitions and grants.
- Regularly monitor submission of applications for grants and awards.
- Review travel grant applications and decide to whom the grants will be awarded.
- Form and chair committee to assist in the review of papers for the Student Paper Competitions and the John Wicks Dissertation Award competition.
- Respond to all applicants by Feb 15th, as to the outcome of the award/grant decisions.
- Notify the Communications Director by Feb 15th to ensure the payments of awards/grants.
- Organize the poster session at the conference, including the set up of the poster session.
- Conduct poster competition; tabulate votes and present award at Presidential Lunch on Friday.
- Mentor and prepare successor to take over the position.
Effective and efficient tracking of grant and award applicants
- Timely notification of results to applicants