The WSSA's 64th Annual Conference (2022)
March 30 - April 2, 2022
Hilton Denver City Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
2022 Program Chair
Jussi P. Laine, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Multidisciplinary Border Studies
Docent of Human Geography
Karelian Institute of the University of Eastern Finland
Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies
To prevent internet trolls and unregistered people from crashing your sessions, we are providing an extra level of security. We will be sending out, on the night of Wednesday the 30th, an email to all participants who are pre-registered, or who have registered on site on Wednesday, the 30th. That email will go out after 8:00pm, and will contain instructions for downloading and logging in to Whova, the conference app, which will have the conference agenda (rooms/days/times) in addition to titles and authors of the presentations.
THERE IS NO PRINTED PROGRAM
If you don't see the message, please check your junk email. If the message is not there by 9:30pm, please send an email to WSSA.Admin@WesternSocialScienceAssociation.org, to have it sent individually to you.
Starting tomorrow, Thursday, March 31, we will be sending out such emails to the addresses of on-site registrants shortly after they finish the registration process.
Submissions must be made through our online submissions site, not directly to the Section Coordinator, by January 20, 2022. Our submission and registration site uses the ConfTool Pro platform; to make a submission, authors must first create a user account on the ConfTool system. After the account is created, authors can then go on to fill out the submission information.
Click here to create a ConfTool user account, or to go to the submission and registration pages if you have already created an account for this year.
ALL participants must register. See "Registration" page for deadlines and fees. Refunds of registration fees will be available to persons who register for the conference and then learn that their papers were not accepted. See " below, for further information. "
Code of Conduct
The deadline to reserve rooms at the conference rate is March 15, 2022.
The Western Social Science Association considers all presentations made during the conference to be copyright-protected and only the presenter of the paper can give consent for the presentation to be recorded. Permission must be explicit, not implied, and given in writing.
New & Renewing Members: Please Note
If you are not able to attend the conference, but wish to retain your subscription to the Social Science Journal, and your rights
- to vote in elections for Board Officers and Members,
- to participate in the annual Business Meeting, and
- to vote on matters set before the membership for decision,
there is a membership-only option.
- To choose that option for the 2020-2021 membership year (April 1, 2021 - March 31, 2022), click on the 2021-2022 Membership form.
- To choose that option for the 2022-2023 membership year (April 1, 2022 - March 31, 2023), click on the 2022-2023 Membership form.
Disability Accessibility Services
For in-person conferences, WSSA will make every reasonable effort to arrange for motorized scooters, sign-language interpreters, sighted guides, and other communication avenues for conference registrants who need them. WSSA cannot support any ADA requests for support which are not directly related to the activities of the conference.
This includes, but is not limited to, guided tours, activities and other events which may be provided by a third party affiliated with but not primarily a part of the WSSA conference (e.g., tours and trips provided by affiliates and sections, local universities, etc.). Please email the Meeting Services staff by no later than February 1 of the conference year to identify the accommodation that you need. The Meeting Services staff will contact you to discuss needs and possible arrangements.
- Both submission of a presentation, and registration as a conference participant, give consent to the WSSA to contact the submitter and/or registrant with information regarding the conference.
- Submission of a presentation gives consent for the WSSA to forward the submitter's contact information to the Coordinator of the section to which the presentation has been submitted or referred.
- Registration confers membership in the WSSA, and gives consent to the WSSA to send the member the Social Science Journal and WSSA News subscriptions to which registration entitles the participant, for the period of the membership. Members may opt out of their subscriptions at any time.
- Both registration as a participant and submission of a presentation give consent for the WSSA to send a "Call for Papers" for upcoming conferences. Persons receiving these "Calls" may opt out of further messages at any time.
If your organization would like to post an announcement about an upcoming event or conference that will be of interest to WSSA members, please contact the Communications Director, Kate Herke. Appropriate announcements will be posted under the "Other Organizations' Upcoming Conferences" link, below the "Conferences" tab.
Requests for refunds of conference registration must be made in writing, to the Conference Manager, at WSSA.Admin@WesternSocialScienceAssociation.org .
- Persons who pre-registered for the conference, then were notified that their submissions were declined, are eligible for full refunds IF they request the refund, by email to WSSA.Admin@nau.edu, within two weeks of the notification that the submission was declined.
- Requests made by March 9 will receive approximately 90% of the amount originally paid (amount paid, minus the amount that the credit card companies will charge us to make the refund).
- Requests made by March 12 will receive approximately 75% of the amount originally paid (amount paid, minus both the amount that the credit card companies charged us for the original transaction, AND the amount they will charge us to make the refund).
- Requests made by March 16 will receive approximately 65% of the amount originally paid.
- No refunds will be made after March 16.
All WSSA attendees are expected to abide by the WSSA Code of Conduct, regarding courtesy, registration & badge policies, and recording. Please click here to read the Code.