due to COVID-19 disruptions,
The WSSA's 63rd Annual Conference (2021),
will take place
April 12 - 25, 2021
The conference will accept proposals for:
♦ Live ZOOM sessions (paper presentations, roundtables, workshops)
♦ Recorded sessions (paper presentations, roundtables, workshops)
♦ Hybrid sessions (Recorded sessions, with a scheduled online Q&A session during 2nd week)
♦ Document-only papers (not attached to any other format)
During the conference period, all live ZOOM sessions will be recorded and added to the already-stored recorded sessions. All paid registrants can comment on all recorded sessions and document-only papers, during the conference period. After the conference period, all recorded sessions, with any attached documents, and all document-only papers, will remain available for viewing, but not commenting, for six months after the close of the conference.
The deadline for participants to submit abstracts
for all of the formats shown above is
January 29, 2021.
ALL participants must register. See "Registration" page for deadlines and fees. Refunds of registration fees will be available to persons who register for the conference and then learn that their papers were not accepted. See " below, for further information. "
Proposals must be submitted to a specific section.
For information on the various sections, and for a link to the submission portal, .
Conference registration automatically confers membership in the WSSA, at no extra charge - submitters do not need to become members of WSSA before submitting a proposal.
2021 Program Chair
Anthony Amato, Ph.D.
Professor of Social Science
Southwest Minnesota State University
Marshall, MN, USA
About the Conference Program
For the convenience of the participants, the preliminary conference program should be available here for download by early March, 2021, and will be updated at intervals before the conference. An up-to-date program will be available on the conference's mobile app before the conference begins, and will be updated daily during the conference. The final, complete, official program should be available online, with all deletions, additions, and changes included, sometime in late-April, 2021.
The Western Social Science Association considers all presentations made during the conference to be copyright-protected and only the presenter of the paper can give consent for the presentation to be recorded.
New & Renewing Members: Please Note
If you are not able to attend the conference, but wish to retain your subscriptions to the Social Science Journal and the WSSA Newsletter, and your rights
- to vote in elections for Board Officers and Members,
- to participate in the annual Business Meeting, and
- to vote on matters set before the membership for decision,
there is a membership-only option. To choose that option for the 2020-2021 membership year (April 1, 2020 - March 31, 2021), fill out the Membership-only online form, or click here to download the paper Subscription Membership-only form to mail, with a check or money order.
Disability Accessibility Services
For in-person conferences, WSSA will make every reasonable effort to arrange for motorized scooters, sign-language interpreters, sighted guides, and other communication avenues for conference registrants who need them. WSSA cannot support any ADA requests for support which are not directly related to the activities of the conference.
This includes, but is not limited to, guided tours, activities and other events which may be provided by a third party affiliated with but not primarily a part of the WSSA conference (e.g., tours and trips provided by affiliates and sections, local universities, etc.). Please email the Meeting Services staff (WSSA.Admin@nau.edu) by no later than February 17 of the conference year to identify the accommodation that you need. The Meeting Services staff will contact you to discuss needs and possible arrangements.
- Both submission of a presentation, and registration as a conference participant, give consent to the WSSA to contact the submitter and/or registrant with information regarding the conference.
- Submission of a presentation gives consent for the WSSA to forward the submitter's contact information to the Coordinator of the section to which the presentation has been submitted or referred.
- Registration confers membership in the WSSA, and gives consent to the WSSA to send the member the Social Science Journal and WSSA News subscriptions to which registration entitles the participant, for the period of the membership. Members may opt out of their subscriptions at any time.
- Both registration as a participant and submission of a presentation give consent for the WSSA to send a "Call for Papers" for upcoming conferences. Persons receiving these "Calls" may opt out of further messages at any time.
If your organization would like to post an announcement about an upcoming event or conference that will be of interest to WSSA members, please contact the Communications Director, Kate Herke. Appropriate announcements will be posted under the "Other Organizations' Upcoming Conferences" link, below the "Conferences" tab.
Requests for refunds of conference registration must be made in writing, to the Conference Manager, at WSSA.Admin@nau.edu.
- Persons who pre-registered for the conference, then were notified that their submissions were declined, are eligible for full refunds IF they request the refund, by email to WSSA.Admin@nau.edu, within two weeks of the notification that the submission was declined.
- Requests made by March 12 will receive approximately 90% of the amount originally paid (amount paid, minus the amount that the credit card companies will charge us to make the refund).
- Requests made by March 22 will receive approximately 75% of the amount originally paid (amount paid, minus both the amount that the credit card companies charged us for the original transaction, AND the amount they will charge us to make the refund).
- Requests made by April 2 will receive approximately 65% of the amount originally paid.
- No refunds will be made after April 2.